Nov 21, 2009

Open for Business!

Hi Everyone!

Ok, the super duper amazing project I've been holding for so long can finally be revealed! I'm happy to announce that I've opened the Bennyville Etsy Shop! I've been wanting to do this for years but the timing was never right. I've been brainstorming on things I wanted to make and finally settled on something I'm comfortable with. Hand-sewn crafts!

I was taught by my mother on how to sew when I was a wee-lassie; just short of that awkward puberty stage of life. Sewing was something I've always been around. My family has humble beginnings and handmade clothes were one way to cut corners and save some money. My mom told me stories on how she would make her own bras and panties when she was a teenager! When life started getting comfortable, sewing became less of a need and more of a hobby. My mom's sewing abilities became limited to hemming pant legs to fit our short legs, fixing torn seams, and halloween costumes.

This is me as Raggedy Ann


When my mom felt comfortable trusting me to sew independently (those sewing needles are dangerous!), I would create doll clothes with my inexperienced hands. This hobby eventually grew into my love for cosplay.

Big Apple Anime Fest 2003 as Sumomo from Chobits
Made by me, and a little help from mom!


So here we are today, my not-so-secret-project for 2009. Now with a few more years of sewing experience (but will never be quite as good as mom)! My etsy shop!!



The idea behind my shop is to provide cute handmade pieces that are either wearable or functional.

These are brooches that can be pinned almost anything! My personal favorite is the cheeseburger pin! It looks good enough to eat! I am also a big fan of Pokemon! So I created a couple of felt mascots in their honor. Pictured above is Combee (female) and Marill the water mouse. Just wait until Combee (female) evolves into Vespiquen. She'll become a force to be reckoned with! Bug Pokemon are not the weaklings you once thought they were!

I've saved the best for last! The Bennyville Rice Dolls! I was first introduced to the idea by my pal Risu and I wanted to create my own spin on the idea.



These are reusable heating pads that are filled with rice. They are easy to use: just pop them into the microwave for 30-seconds and you can keep your hands cozy warm or relieve minor aches and pains.

You no longer have to mess around with the old fashioned hot water pack. Its dangerous to fill those with boiling water especially if you're clumsy like me! Why not have a cute one that's safe to use instead?

Alternatively, they can be frozen for a few hours in a plastic bag and used as an ice pack. And the best part is that they come with an outer-covering that is washable! Just don't wash the inner rice-filled pack or both of us will be very sad.

I made a few original designs including: Boo-Boo Bandaid Bear, Honey Bunny, Mischief Kitten, and RoboPanda!

I have tons of design ideas, so please check my shop if there is anything new. These are all handmade by me, so if there is anything that is sold out, I'll be sure to restock as soon as I can. Right now I'm only shipping within the US. This is only because I'm getting used the idea of opening a new shop. I plan on shipping everywhere eventually ;)

Love,

Sarah

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Adorei eu estou fazendo pro dia das criança,monstrinhos,bonecas e naninhas tudo de tecido estou amando