Dec 31, 2011

2011 in Photos

The year 2011 went by quickly! I look back at it as another transition year as I figure things out. I had so many projects that I wanted to do, but they were put on the back-burner because at the start of the year I was offered a full-time job! I spent most of the year working and saving money. Even though I was busy, I did have a few highlights that I'm excited to share with you:


I submitted my book to the Sketchbook Project 2011




I went on an annual Ski/Snowboarding Trip with really good friends!




I wasn't able to wear my Halloween costume for Halloween, so I wore it on the slopes instead! 
It was a big hit!



After reading Kitchen Princess, I was inspired and baked a lot of stuff!




Most of my experiments ended in in disaster...


...including this monstrosity. Its supposed to be a light and delicious Castella Flan, 
but it looks more like a filthy kitchen sponge



I explored Space Craft in Brooklyn, NY with my favorite crafty companions, 
Angie from Blueberry Crumble Crafts and Sarah Marie from Saltwater Acorns



For my birthday I went rock climbing with my friends! And later a Tex-Mex feast was consumed!



These are my gerbils a year later. I caught Taco in a ridiculous sleeping position! 



I joined a band! 
(More on this later. I've been keeping it a secret.)



Me and my boyfriend planned a last minute vacation to Cape May, NJ. We made frequent visits to different beaches along the Jersey Shore throughout the summer including another last minute vacation to Wildwood, NJ. I love the beach so much!



My friends and I got lost in a Corn Maze.



I went to see champion dogs hosted by the American Kennel Club called Meet the Breeds at the Javits Center.



I got to hang out in NYC with blogger cuties, Katie of seekatiedraw and San Smith! I've been a fan of San's blog for a long time and this is the first time I got to meet her. She is as fun and kind as I imagined her to be! 



I also got to hang out with May the foodie blogger! I've only gotten to hang out with her a few times, but she's so much fun to be around. She's very genuine and welcoming too. I kinda feel like I've known her for much longer than I actually do. I miss all the girls! I hope we can hang out soon <3



My brother celebrated his 30th birthday (What?!!) on a boat because he's obsessed with the song 
"I'm on a Boat" by The Lonely Island 



Just in case you haven't heard it, this is the song. hehe



Me and my boyfriend celebrated our five year anniversary this year! Wow!! <3

Concerts and Events attended in 2011: The Blank 77 punk rock reunion show, Miyavi, Harry Potter: The Exhibition, Cirque du Soleil: Zarkana

Favorite TV show of 2011: Thundercats!!!

Favorite Games played in 2011: Haunted Domains, Cooking Mama 2, Tamagotchi Connection 3, Animal Crossing (I think Animal Crossing will make my list every year!)

Favorite Movies of 2011: Water for Elephants, Thor, Real Steel, The Muppets Movie. 
There are a ton of movies that I didn't get to see and I found this really cool site that lists all of the movies of 2011 in case you need to catch up too.

Favorite Restaurants of 2011: Cuba Libre, Mad Batter, Hot Dog Tommy's, Bubbly Tea, Vivi Tea, Baguette Delite, Pastel, Kenka, Black Iron Burger, Lula's Sweet Apothecary, Red Robin

Random things that happened in 2011 
- Attended a Drift Show with my boyfriend and friends, the car enthusiasts. It was something new and different for me. And surprisingly fun!
- Apple Picking!
- I lost my phone of 3 years somewhere in NYC. I got a new one.
- Participated in Fanart Free Week (FAFW)
- Mercury Retrograde! Ugh! A nightmare! I was physically shoved in the subway for no good reason at all. I hold Mercury Retrograde responsible for that one! Other terrible things happened and I am leaving them behind in 2011!
- Traded in my iMac at Tekserve for a new iMac. 
- I attended the Not Yo Mama's Craft Fair 3rd annual show and also their Holiday Festival.
- Dinner parties and bubble tea dates with cool girls!

New Favorite Blogs I read in 2011: (This list keeps growing in addition to my regular favorites!)
A Quirky Girl - Articles about positivity and pretty things
Cakeb0t - How to bake cute things!
Adora Bat Brat - The fascinating life of Alterna-model, Adora Bat Brat
The Soap Bar - Soap musings. I love soap so much!
Cuteordeath on Squidoo and Blogger - Cute things, anime, toys and tv shows of the 80's and more!
Fashion Hayley - A fashion and lifestyle blog
Saltwater Acorns - An art and inspirational blog from my friend, Sarah M.
Talk2TheTrees - An art and photo blog from one of my favorite Etsy shops
Rookie Magazine - Fashion and pop culture curated by Tavi and friends!

Greatest Accomplishment of 2011: I am proud to say that I am in the best shape of my life! I kept up with an exercise routine that challenges me and I'm happy with. I walked an estimated 194 miles this year! I've been recording how many miles I walked on iCalendar. I've also been recording the days I lifted weights, pilates, yoga, and swimming. I plan on continuing this in 2012. 

The year comes to an end in full circle. Remember the job that I mentioned at the beginning of this post? I recently walked away from it. I was good at what I did, but I was also very unhappy. My job didn't allow me to do the things that I loved. It broke my heart to have to close my Etsy shop and everything related to it, including this blog because I didn't have any time for it. 

I sacrificed a lot of things and felt like my relationships with friends and family were hanging by a thread because I was working so much.  It took a lot of thought, courage, and planning before I was ready to walk away and I'm glad that I did. Over the course of a year I learned a lot of things and one of them was that I had to let go of some things in order to allow new things to come into my life. Its still really scary to walk away from a steady job, but I felt like it was the right thing to do. You know what? I already have some new opportunities on the horizon! I'm not ready to share it with you yet, but when the time is right, I'll let you know.  

How was 2011 for you? I'd love to know :)

I wish you all the best for 2012!

4 comments:

Miss Angie said...

Sarah, what a fantastic post! I'm happy for you that you made 2011 such a memorable year. :) Would you mind if I made a post similar to this for my blog too? I feel like some reflection is in order :D Also, that giraffe kigu is adorable! And I'm looking forward to hearing more about this band! :3

-Angie

Sarah said...

@Angie Hiya Angie! Thanks so much :) My post isn't exactly original, I've seen other bloggers do it too haha! I love reading them. Totally make a 2011 post! I'd love to see what you've been up to!

I'll definitely post more details about my band hehehe.

gj said...

exciting! i am glad that you had many awesome adventures and memories in 2011. :D

Sarah said...

@gj Yay! You were a part of the fun! Bubble tea forever!!