Apr 21, 2009

Imperfections



I put a tremendous amount of pressure on myself to have "good" drawings every time. I get intimidated by a blank page. Oh gosh that first mark on the paper! I know a sketchbook is for ideas, but I've always had this thing where I don't want it to get messy. Isn't that silly? Over the last few years, I've been trying to break that boundary and not care, although its going SUPER SLOW! Like.... the drawing above. I wouldn't have ever drawn on the backside where the marker bled:
A) I would think that its ugly
B) Its hard to see where the new lines are going to be.

I like seeing other artists' sketchbooks and wish mine were more like theirs. I like how they have writings that mean something only to them. Then all the cutting and pasting of found objects. I've kept sketchbooks for years and mine still doesn't look like that. I don't even like looking at my old sketchbooks! One of my goals for 2009 was to have a sketchbook that's more than a sketchbook. It would have ideas and plans and something to be proud of at the end of the year. I wrote about it on my blog [Click here for source] and although I haven't kept with the calendars and whatnot, I've been writing lists and things.

Its a process.

No comments: